- 2020-12-24 "2 Array Type for Signal lines" has been discontinued.
- 2020-11-12 The part number of "Chip Varistor for Automotive" series has been added (2 part number).
- 2019-08-01 SPICE model has been posted.
- 2019-06-03 2 Array Type for Signal lines are Not Recommended for New Design.
- 2019-01-08 "Chip Varistor" page has been updated.
- 2017-04-04 The design support tool " Characteristic Viewer" has been posted
- 2016-10-28 Registration certificates of quality and environment certifications (ISO, TS) are available for download
What is the Multilayer Chip Varistor?
Varistor stands for Variable Resistor
It’s a voltage nonlinear resistor/voltage-dependent resistor.
It is an element that changes its resistance value depending on applied voltage.
This is the ceramic electronic component the character of which is used to protect electronic devices from the abnormal voltage, such as lightning surge and static electricity.
- Voltage vs. Current
characteristics differ from a fixed resister
and the element changes its resistance values widely!
What is the function of Chip Varistor?
It protects electronic devices from electrostatic discharge (ESD) by utilizing its characteristic of changing resistance values depending on applied voltage!
ESD suppression mechanism
ESD suppression effect (ex.)
Types and applications of electrostatic countermeasure components.
Chip Varistor is mainly applied to general signal circuits and in-vehicle devices; it can be applied to various devices.